April 14, 2009

One word, amazing.









Photos from Babel Tales by Peter Funch, via NOTCOT.

There's twenty-nine of these total for his exhibition in Copenhagen, and every one of is worth looking at. I picked these eight because I felt they were the most clever and best executed :) I mean, don't these photos look real? (Technically they are real people in real settings, just different times. Duh.) But besides the wow factor, there's a lot one could say about the series. Like why did Funch pick these activities or moments, because they were funny? Said something about America? About people in general? Most likely all of these and then some.

But that's not what gets me. It's the details. Cause really, all these things are far from unusual. Everybody yawns, uses a cell phone, carries stuff around. But everyone at once? And that almost everyone is unaware of their surroundings? It makes it seem staged. But it's not, and that's what makes this crazy good. And I love how every so often there's one subject that's excluded from the pack within the image, observing and not participating. And they have this look, as if he or she has really just experienced that surreal moment. Seeing them at a loss of words makes it all more real to me.

And to know this was shot in New York City. Aren't these locations pretty famous and therefore pretty busy areas? Respect. Now I just wish he had done one where everyone is wearing aviators, or in mid-blink. Or hailing a cab. Hmm...

Seriously, check out his site and look at all of his photos, especially his recent work, you'll be blown away. I'm still trying to catch my breath.

5 comments:

yina said...

haha.
i really like the one with everyone taking pictures in times square.
farney farney.

Anonymous said...

this is trippy
i kinda thought this was like the grand central dancing staged bit

Alli said...

so creative + clever!
i like the kids one best.

random site to share with you: www.grainedit.com

Yohan said...

these are so surreal! i love it.

ryan said...

http://www.geekologie.com/2009/02/end_of_the_world_perspective_s.php check it out.